Monday, February 19, 2018

A Tube of Golden Glue

In one hand, a box of tissues.
In the other, golden glue.
Back and forth and back and forth
Healing and tearing
Tearing and healing.

Stronger than I knew.
I close up the remaining fragments in a locket.
I've learned to protect myself
Something I never knew how to do.
Gave away the whole of me, so willingly.

Reeling it back in.
Now knowing others don't treat you the way you treat them.
Ethical love is maybe a farce
All those tears and words were never enough
Please stop, please stop. Make it stop.

Made the mistake of thinking you saw me
Even though I never saw me.
For so long have wanted others to fill in the gaps,
Now I feel the shattered reality of how inaccurate that could be.
These lessons I hadn't yet learned are here to stay.

Each moment, each day I love you a bit less.
See the reality ignored for years and years and years.
I wanted you to be what I thought I needed you to be.
Not seeing that all along,
the only damn person I needed to see was me.

No comments:

Post a Comment